[GLLUG] Alternative to SUSE Enterprise Linux

Marcus Rademacher radema39 at msu.edu
Sat Mar 21 12:34:26 EDT 2009

Our GUI is in Smalltalk (wild, right?) and our main app is in C/C++. We
don't target distros so much as attempt to support what's commonly used by
our clients already. Our software is used in conjuction with
enginering/scientific simulation tools (CAD, FEA, CFD, etc). Our clients
already have large compute resources to handle the other tools, and we just
need to make sure we're compatible on those platforms. The main reason we
want to include SUSE in house is to be able to replicate our users'
environment as closely as possible during testing and support.

We do "specify" requirements in a sense, but we're not willing to lose a
sale if someone's compute cluster is still running AIX or HP-UX. Luckily,
the old UNIX stuff is going away, and the big simulation software is not
supporting them as much anymore. This allows us to do the same, and focus on
Windows and Linux as the primary platforms.

Regardless, it appears that there's no free alternative to SUSE Enterprise
Linux. I didn't realize it was so cheap (for the Desktop version, anyway).
At $50/year, it's a steal. RHEL was more than twice that, and that's after
fighting the salesman to tell us the price for the lower support option.

Anyway, thanks for the input everyone!