[GLLUG] PHP Authentication Frameworks

David Singer david at ramaboo.com
Sat Mar 21 17:29:59 EDT 2009

I am working on a PHP application that requires user authentication.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with a good PHP
authentication library (or a library that could be wrapped into a PHP
class).

I need both user and group based authentication. Where each domain
(the application deals with dns records for domains) could be accessed
by zero or more users, and be a member of zero or more groups (very
similar to unix/linux user system). Users/groups would need read/write
permissions.

In addition to simple salted database authentication I was hopping to
find something that would support normal unix/linux system accounts,
LDAP, and Open ID.

Iv considered writing my own abstract authentication class and then
implementing each authentication mechanism but that would take a few
days. I was hopping to find something already writing thats GPLv3
compatible.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
David