[GLLUG] Penguicon situation

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Wed May 20 15:42:43 EDT 2009

For everyone who is still butt-hurt about the Penguicon thing: you can
relax.  The new con chair posted on the Penguicon-general list about the
lounge situation.  He isn't looking for anything radically different.
He's committed to a lot of the things we've wanted for a long time, like
getting other user groups involved, and getting real internet access for
the whole con, including the lounge.

How he's going to go about doing that is still in limbo.  What he wants to
do is kind of a tall order, so he can't just say "GLLUG, go do this" and
it will all work out.  He's got to think about what he can really
accomplish, and how to manage everything without going crazy.

The best bet for GLLUG is to make sure we're part of the solution.  I've
emailed him privately and offered to help out, and I believe that Marshal
has also spoken with him.  The goal is that we're closely involved with
ConCom and somebody is actually running the lounge, rather than the fairly
casual approach that we've used in the past.  It's not a slam on us from
anybody at Penguicon, but a way to avoid having to put up with some of the
bullshit that we've had to deal with in the past, like events scheduled
without consulting us and uncertainty about how volunteer time was being
handled.