[GLLUG] my comments on the Computers for sale

Don Bosman dbosman at msu.edu
Sun May 24 00:16:20 EDT 2009

Nobody asked, but what the heck.
As a guy who has purchased computers in lots, and at auctions, here is
my three cents worth:
I was a Dell 'certified' tech for a few years if that alters anyones
opinion of my opinion.

The pictured SX260, service tag 99MH821, was shipped from Dell 1/6/2003
SX260s have two RAM sockets and max out at 2 gig.
They use DDR 2700 (DDR333) or DDR 3200 (DDR400) modules.
Make sure you get the power supply. It's an external brick that may be
worth more than the system shown.

I can't read the blurry tag on the GX280, but as I'm using a GX280 at
this moment, I'll comment.
   GX280s should all be hyper-threading P4s.
They probably shipped in 2003 or 2004.
There are four RAM sockets and they max out at 4 gig.
They use DDR2 5300 (DDR2-667) or DDR2 6400 (DDR2-800) modules.

The pictured LCDs came after the huge lot of Dell LCDs with bad caps, so
they should have life left in them.
Keep in mind that libraries ran these all day every day they were open
for roughly the last six years.

If you want to know what they are worth, check the past sales history on
eBay.

So, the library is upgrading a lot of machines.  And thusly, they're
getting rid of the old ones.