[GLLUG] Looking for some open source projects (local) to aid in

vanek vanek at acd.net
Fri Jan 1 17:12:42 EST 2010

Richard Houser wrote:
> In my defense, you did ask on a LUG mailing list.......  Windows makes
> everything more difficult, but Fuse is available on BSD, and a port is
> underway for OpenSolaris.
>
> I'm personally using Mythtv primarily for the backend flexibility, and
> the video approach there appears to be look at the video directories,
> see if anything is missing from the database, and if so, attempt to
> pull it in.  Why look at something if you already scanned it?

Because new files may "drop" into the XBMC domain via two means:
1. a user could manually add (or delete) a video file to any one of the
repositories at any time;
2. a program may move a video file into one of the file repositories
(e.g., a torrent program).
And, as I did a poor job explaining before, the scanner in XBMC works
well if and only if you
follow its rigid directory structure. Thus, if you place a new file into
XBMC's domain, the scanner
will notice it and try to parse it but will likely fail at recognizing
it if all files are not manually organized
into their proper directories.
On top of that, many of the video files have to be renamed until the
scraper recognizes the movie/TV show.
This means a single scan is not enough in those cases where the video
file was mis-named.
I'm not sure I answered your question, but let me know if I didn't.