[GLLUG] Looking for some open source projects (local) to aid in

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Sun Jan 3 14:24:36 EST 2010

I would guess #1 is too advanced for almost anyone.  The Office XML
formats effectively contain binary blobs of data "ex. as Microsoft
Word 2000 does it" (I read a few sections of the spec).  It was
designed to block interoperability measures (including the Open
Document Formats).

#2 Sounds a little interesting, but Wine is a little bit scary :(.
Back in the day I used to play EverQuest on WineX (wine fork) and
there were a few times I had to dive into the code to track down a
problem (I was on the beta team).  That code base is harder to deal
with than you would expect, even for a more experienced programmer.

I've seen talk of writing the defragmenter in #3 a few times as well.
I could be mistaken here, but the kernel developers keep pushing it
off because it's not really much of an issue, especially if you keep a
portion of the drive free.  If you want to defragment a Linux
filesystem yourself, you just need to ensure some free space, then
copy and delete each file (preserving attributes of course).  If you
reserve a larger portion for root, you can prevent it from getting
fragmented much in the first place.