[GLLUG] new guy to Linux, need a few reccomendations

Marr marr at copper.net
Wed Jan 20 23:08:13 EST 2010

On Wednesday 20 January 2010 6:54:56pm Bert W. Carrier Jr. wrote:
> Hello folks,
>

> I am new to the group, and I have been using Ubuntu 9.10 for a few
> months now on my main box. I like it quite well, and I rarely boot to XP
> at all anymore. I tried Kubuntu, and did'nt care for it as it was slow
> and crashed often.   I also am running Xubuntu on one of my P4 laptops,
> and it seems ok.
>
> My question is:   I have a P3, 500mhz dinosaur laptop with 192mb RAM,
> and I want to run linux on it for word processing, email, and web
> surfing.

Hi Bert,

Welcome to the group!

You might try Slackware if you get the itch.

I still run Slackware on an old 400 MHz (AMD K6-2 CPU) Toshiba laptop with
192MB of RAM.  I used to run it on a mere 64MB (with KDE no less).
Admittedly, I'm running an older version (10.2, I think). Last time I updated
to the latest version (13.0), it seemed a bit doggy, but I spent absolutely
no time trying to improve the speed and I'd switched it from KDE (version
4.2 -- ick!) to Xfce as my desktop environment.

Slackware isn't for everyone, but it's always run well for me on aging
hardware, even with a full (pre-4.x) KDE environment.

Regards,
Bill Marr