[GLLUG] new guy to Linux, need a few reccomendations

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 23:19:51 EST 2010

You're gotten some good answers, especially about Puppy Linux, Bert.  If
you go with that, though, just run it from the CD.  It runs as root, so
you don't want anyone getting root access to a permanent installation.

If you like Ubuntu, you could try Fluxbuntu.  It's a few releases behind
Ubuntu, but it's lightweight.  I've run it on a Pentium II with 64MB or
128MB (I can't recall).

Slackware and Arch would run fine on your machine.  I don't think
they're as difficult to set up as the BSDs, but they're not as easy as
Ubuntu.  Arch is more like Ubuntu for installing software.  Slax and
Vector are based upon Slackware, so they would work, and they're made to
be easier to manage and to install software on.

As Clay said, Fluxbox is a fine window manager for old PCs.  It's easy
to edit the menu to add whatever apps you want after they're installed.
  Xfce isn't really as light as we've been led to believe, almost as
demanding as Gnome.

                                Chick