[GLLUG] Found a server... in the last place I looked.

Frank Dolinar frank.dolinar at comcast.net
Thu Jul 15 21:31:53 EDT 2010

To everyone at the meeting this evening.
Thanks for patiently answering my questions.

I found my server, right where I thought it should be, I just hadn't
known how to access it.

I realized on the way home that I didn't need to upgrade Ubuntu to try
these steps and that they should work from v9.10, so I did them
immediately upon arriving at home.

1.    openssh-server was already installed on the server in the basement
2.    ifconfig provided the IP address
3.    in my office (upstairs) both Linux & Mac OS X were able to "see"
the server (verified by pings from both systems).  [Thanks, Marshall,
for the nudge about vague questions.]
4.    I was able to login to the server from each of these machines.

I'm not ignoring a try from Windows XP.  I have to restart the system
with that OS to try.  I expect complete success there, too.

So an additional thanks for all concerned since that's one problem I can
cross off the list.
(It's a relatively short list.  Probably no longer than the Roman
Catholic Litany of the Saints.)

Next question...  Now what do I do?
Or, more specifically, what is a reasonable handful of tasks to try next
to learn how to deal with this environment and to begin to do something
useful.  Your idea of useful may vary from mine, but I'm interested in
hearing from whoever has ideas.

Thanks to all.

Peace,
Frank