[GLLUG] Found a server... in the last place I looked.

Charles Ulrich charles at bityard.net
Thu Jul 15 22:17:06 EDT 2010

Frank Dolinar wrote:
> So an additional thanks for all concerned since that's one problem I can
> cross off the list.
> (It's a relatively short list.  Probably no longer than the Roman
> Catholic Litany of the Saints.)

Always happy to help.

> Next question...  Now what do I do?
> Or, more specifically, what is a reasonable handful of tasks to try next
> to learn how to deal with this environment and to begin to do something
> useful.  Your idea of useful may vary from mine, but I'm interested in
> hearing from whoever has ideas.

Since you mentioned that your primary motivation for setting up the
server was to tinker with Drupal, there's no reason you can't start
heading in that direction. Check out the Apache section in the Ubuntu
Server Guide.  There's a lot to know about Apache but you ought to be
able to get a minimal site going without too much trouble.

If you want to ease into things a little more slowly, just scan through
the Server Guide for something that sounds interesting and relatively
painless and give it a try. One easy task is setting up an NTP (network
time protocol) client to keep your system clock accurate. Maybe install
MediaWiki so you have a place to keep all your notes. There's also Samba
for sharing files among the other machines on your network.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Charles
--
http://bityard.net