[GLLUG] Configuring Apache2

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Thu Jul 22 01:13:11 EDT 2010

As far as configurations go, Apache can get very complicated; it all
depends on what you want to do.  Most distros should give you a really
good start, though, so just review each LoadModule statement and
comment it out if it's not something you think you'll use.  For
Apache, you need look only at the httpd.conf; everything else will be
referenced from that one via includes or other such options.

If you are just talking about a simple setup for Drupal alone, you
should probably configure at least mod_ssl, mod_deflate, mod_php,
mod_rewrite, mod_expires, mod_header, mod_alias, mod_cache, and a
couple more I'm not thinking of at the moment.  Also, ftp is
completely insecure, so you should be using something else like ssh,
or webdav via mod_dav.

Another Crypto session is certainly overdue (so hold off on the
mod_ssl config).  I haven't made it to Gone Wired yet this year, but
from what I hear it's still a bad location for
presentations/workgroups.  Any suggestions?