[GLLUG] Static IP for the server

David Singer david at ramaboo.com
Sat Jul 24 20:59:54 EDT 2010

Yet another option is to use just DHCP but set it to recognize your MAC
address and always give you the same IP. This has the advantage of
working basically like a static address in that you always get the same IP
if you are home but if you take your computer to a coffee shop your not
screwed like you would be with a static IP. This is how I do it with my
laptop since when I am at home I like to have a staticish IP address for my
firewall :) Its also easier to setup than a truly static IP.

David