[GLLUG] Browser problems

Don Bosman dbosman at msu.edu
Sun Nov 7 11:52:41 EST 2010

It sounds like the machine is infested. I've seen the same behavior at
work.
If it can be rolled back a couple of months, to a restore point before
the issue, it might be salvaged.
Barring that, or even if it works, scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
program.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
If those two things don't work, a re-install from scratch may be faster
than repeated attempts at repair.

Also, if they have to keep Vista, have him download and install
Microsoft's Security Essentials package and un-install his other
anti-virus products.
Microsoft has a better idea of what can go wrong with their software
than any other "free" product and many of the pay products.

Have him try Ubuntu Studio.

Good luck.
Don Bosman