[GLLUG] Browser problems

Seth Bembeneck dataspiller at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 12:24:14 EST 2010

I have had this problem also on a couple computers - check the hosts file -
The computers that were infected had their host file filled with common
domains that (if I remember correctly) either looped back to the computer,
or to an other ip that wasn't working - either way sites stopped loading.

It has been my experience that running anti-virus software, malware,
spyware, etc doesn't clean out the host file (or at least flag it as
suspicious) - so you can clean up any infections, but still have the browser
issue

Though it is wierd that Firefox would only fail a month later, and Chrome
still works - unless they bypass the host file?

Run the usual scans (as suggested) to clean any thing out, and verify that
the host file is clean. That got the computers I worked on back up and
running normally

I don't have ready access to a vista computer, but the host file is on my XP
system is located in  x:\windows\system32\drivers\etc (where x is the drive
letter that windows is installed to).

Seth