[GLLUG] OEM Components

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Wed Oct 27 03:45:43 EDT 2010

With hard drives in particular, OEM purchases can sometimes change warranty
terms (and the exact same item isn't necessarily available in both retail
and OEM packaging).  With other peripherals like optical drives, video
cards, etc, it often changes the software bundles that are included.  For
example, you may not get a manual or instructions (even if available), a
burner may not come with any authoring software, and the a video card may
not come with the typically bundled games, adapter cables (or even daughter
boards), or driver discs.  Except for CPUs, OEM is usually the way to go for
a Linux user looking for hardware.