[GLLUG] OEM Components

Marr wm33 at att.net
Wed Oct 27 11:54:04 EDT 2010

On Wednesday 27 October 2010 00:43:05 Chick Tower wrote:
> I'm shopping around for computer components, and I see some things
> described as OEM.  I know the letters mean original equipment
> manufacturer, and I know that it means such a CPU comes without a
> warranty or a cooling fan.

In my experience, "OEM" for a CPU means no HSF (heatsink/fan) but it does
include a warranty and manual (with installation instructions).

> What does OEM mean for hard drives and
> optical drives?  I see hard drives sometimes described as bare drives,
> but they still come with a manufacturer's warranty if they're new.

I always buy the so-called "OEM" or "bare" hard disk drives. This has meant
that it comes with no cables, (often) no instructions, no drivers or add-on
software (on CD-ROM or whatever). But again, it's still a warrantied item, at
least in all of my experiences buying such. For optical drives, it's been
essentially the same experience.

I buy many (most?) computer things from NewEgg. Maybe the experience is
different with other suppliers.

Regards,
Bill Marr