[GLLUG] jabber server

Michael George george at idealso.com
Fri Oct 29 06:10:44 EDT 2010

I'd like to install a simple jabber server on one of my systems. I don't
need it to be terribly elaborate regarding user account creation and all
that, I really only want a handful of users, and they'll all be in
/etc/passwd.

I've looked at jabberd2, but it looks like I'd have to set up mysql to
authenticate users.  I'd rather not do that.  I've seen openfire, but
it's java, and I don't really want the overhead that will entail, not to
mention the performance hit.

Anyone have any suggestions for a simple jabber server for Linux that
can just authenticate users against the system accounts?
--
-Michael George