[GLLUG] Win98SE Puzzler

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 22:37:48 EDT 2010

My home PC has two IDE hard drives.  Most of my Linux distros are
installed on the second one.  On the first one I have Windows 98SE
installed in the first (and primary) partition, and three other
partitions that I use for Win98 (apps, data, & games) in logical
partitions, as well as a couple of Linux installations and my Linux swap
disk, also in logical partitions.  I use GRUB to multi-boot, and lately
when I try to boot into Win98 it just pops the GRUB menu back up.

I see no error messages on-screen.  I verified that the first partition
of the first hard drive is bootable.  I reinstalled GRUB.  Using cfdisk,
I noticed that the primary partition on the first hard drive was type
FAT32 W95, but the other three Win98 partitions were FAT32 W95 LBA, so I
changed the primary one to match them.  None of these changes allows me
to boot into Win98.

I'm able to boot at least one of the two distros I have installed on the
first hard drive (haven't tried the other), so I know the drive is
working.  I don't recall doing anything that would have caused this;
since I use GRUB, I haven't written to the MBR, other than when I just
recently reinstalled GRUB in an attempt to fix this.  I don't recall
making any changes to the BIOS settings.  The drive is about nine years old.

If I lose this capability, it's not a big deal, and I suspect I can
still access the other partitions to get whatever data and game
configurations I think I might need.  It just bothers me.  Has anyone
else ever seen something like this, or have any suggestions about what
else I can try?  Thanks.
--

                                Chick