[GLLUG] question/suggestion for adding a proxy/cache.

Peter Christenson simple.solutions at comcast.net
Sat Apr 9 17:51:12 EDT 2011

 Hi all, I am working on a redesigning my home network, and hoping to drop
some of my bandwidth by adding a cache server.

so what I would like to do is setup a container with squid to cache and
reduce bandwidth. I thought I would ask and see if anyone on the list had
done anything like this and if so what upsides/downsides there will be?
also

current network configuration

                        (modem) -surfboard

                           {router} -wrt54gs running tomato 1.27
                            /  |  |  \-------/wire to
workshop/------{switch-wifi} -befsr41
  [openvz server]   |  |                                                  /
 |  |  \
                              /   |
        /   |  |    \
      [my main pc]       |                                           [pc]
/     \    [Media Player]

       [pc]  [Media player]
                         {16 port switch}
 [accesspoint]------/||||||||||||\-----[Media Player]
       [wifes pc]-------/||||||||||\------[Media Player]
        (all other ports are wired but not active)

thanks for any help and thoughts in advance!!
Peter.