[GLLUG] Distro Question

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Fri Apr 29 09:05:25 EDT 2011

On 4/29/11 12:37 AM, Ben Chavez wrote:
> I use Ubuntu & Kubuntu mainly because that was the distro I was
> introduced to from the beginning. I am not up to speed to do the
> switch to something different yet, however I am considering to go
> about and try a different flavor.
> A BSD pedigree OS sounds very tempty, or something else non Linux just
> to be different. I wonder if somebody from the list is using something
> like OpenIndiana, Minix3, or  are these even compatible with IBM clone
> computer?
The BSDs are usable as a desktop OS, but probably not for the beginner.
I've done it, but I probably wouldn't do it again.  They were designed
to be servers, and they're awesome in that role.  If you're writing
network software, you'll find anything with a BSD pedigree to be a dream
because the BSD networking api is more advanced than the Linux
networking api (it's just a BSD vs. System V thing).

I would recommend installing a BSD, such as FreeBSD, when you've decided
it's time to take the bull by the horns and become a real UNIX admin.
BSD is swimming in the deep end all the time.

Clay