[GLLUG] Free, Old PCs III

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 12:01:28 EDT 2011

I found a use for one of these old Dell OptiPlex GX100s I have sitting
around.  I wanted to install FreeBSD and Linux on an old laptop I have,
but it has no CD-ROM or floppy drives.  I got an adapter (on eBay, for
$.99!) to allow me to connect the laptop hard drive in a desktop PC and
put it in one of the GX100s.  Since it has CD-ROM and floppy drives, I
was able to install what I wanted and then put the hard drive back into
the laptop.  The GX100 was ideal for my purpose, as it was relatively
small and light, opens up like a clamshell with no tools (just two push
buttons), and I wasn't already using it.

Does anyone foresee needing a test PC, something easy to open that you
can pop in something to try out or, as in my case, do something you
couldn't ordinarily do?  Does anyone else want one now????
--

                                Chick