[GLLUG] #gllug channel

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Tue Aug 2 17:40:53 EDT 2011

I thought maybe I should give some perspective for those wanting a
#gllug irc channel.  It's not the worst idea I've ever heard, and in a
different context I might even be behind it.

But currently, I spend my work day on multiple IRC channels, discussing
Linux, working on Linux, troubleshooting problems on Linux.  I know of
at least one other person here who sits on those same channels, and
several other people who might not be on IRC, but spend their day buried
in Linux.  Spending more time in front of the computer for us is a very
poor substitute for real social interaction.

If you can make it work though, go for it.  You'll need to promote it
heavily, outside of the mailing list, because these things take critical
mass to get going.  It would be a pretty neat adjunct to what we already
offer.  Unfortunately I don't think we have any good tips to offer for
getting to that point; our marketing efforts in the past have failed
miserably.

Clay