[GLLUG] Network setup

Philip J. Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 01:14:35 EDT 2011

On Aug 7, 2011, at 11:43 PM, Richard Houser wrote:

> an nvidea 210 (need vdpau)

If you want to be able to handle any video out there and you want HD audio bitstreaming you’ll want to get something a little better than the nVidia 210. MissingRemote* has an up to date summary chart of GPUs from an A/V standpoint. While an ATI 5450 will make any home theater sing (I’m happy with mine) for ~$20-30 after rebate (and many might even be happy with an nVidia 8400/8500), you might as well go with current generation stuff. That mean an at least an ATI 6450, Intel HD Graphics 2000/3000 (IGP in 2nd gen. Sandy Bridge CPUs), nVidia Geforce GT 430/440 or nVidia Geforce GTS 450/460.

All the reviews I’ve seen say that the nVidia ION/ION2 (basically a 210) just don’t cut it when it comes to demanding video. They get close, but why compromise? And they don’t bitstream HD audio. (See here for details: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3702/zotacs-zbox-hdid11-review-next-gen-ion-better-worse-than-ion1)

Any of AMD’s new APU line is good enough from an A/V standpoint as long as you don’t card about 3D Blu-ray. If you do, you’ll have to do a little more research as the chart only covers the lowest end version.

Note that nVidia’s higher end gaming GPU’s drop HD audio bitstreaming, but maintain their video prowess.

Phil

* Older/Legacy GPUs: http://www.missingremote.com/guide/basic-overview-gpu-hd-video-processing
* Latest Chart: http://www.missingremote.com/guide/gpu-comparison