[GLLUG] Network setup

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Tue Aug 9 01:37:54 EDT 2011

The 210 and an 8200 (multihead, same box) works for me on broadcast 22mbps
hd and the few bluray I've tried.  I'm also running the audio over the hdmi
(ac3 in my living room, required a patch that eventually went into my distro
2.6.37 kernel, prob standard now).  The nice thing about the 210 is many are
fanless, relatively low power, and I think mine only cost $20.  Andy, you
would be welcome to come take a look in person.  Everthing I've heard is
that ATI still isn't ready for Linux hardware video decoding.
On Aug 9, 2011 1:14 AM, "Philip J. Robar" <philip.robar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2011, at 11:43 PM, Richard Houser wrote:
>
>> an nvidea 210 (need vdpau)
>
> If you want to be able to handle any video out there and you want HD audio
bitstreaming you’ll want to get something a little better than the nVidia
210. MissingRemote* has an up to date summary chart of GPUs from an A/V
standpoint. While an ATI 5450 will make any home theater sing (I’m happy
with mine) for ~$20-30 after rebate (and many might even be happy with an
nVidia 8400/8500), you might as well go with current generation stuff. That
mean an at least an ATI 6450, Intel HD Graphics 2000/3000 (IGP in 2nd gen.
Sandy Bridge CPUs), nVidia Geforce GT 430/440 or nVidia Geforce GTS 450/460.

> All the reviews I’ve seen say that the nVidia ION/ION2 (basically a 210)
just don’t cut it when it comes to demanding video. They get close, but why
compromise? And they don’t bitstream HD audio. (See here for details:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3702/zotacs-zbox-hdid11-review-next-gen-ion-better-worse-than-ion1
)

> Any of AMD’s new APU line is good enough from an A/V standpoint as long as
you don’t card about 3D Blu-ray. If you do, you’ll have to do a little more
research as the chart only covers the lowest end version.

http://www.missingremote.com/guide/basic-overview-gpu-hd-video-processing