[GLLUG] [Bulk] What is the difference between GNOME, KDE, XFCE, and LXDE?

Marr wm33 at att.net
Tue Aug 9 21:05:34 EDT 2011

On Tuesday 09 August 2011 18:53:48 Matt Harrison wrote:
> I go back and forth between KDE and Xfce.  I was using 4.8 in Debian
> Testing for a long time and I think that it is very nice.  Native
> network browsing in Thunar is a big plus now.  Not to mention for all
> they added, it works 99.9% the same as 4.6 as far as configuration
> goes.  LXDE is interesting, but I think, at least to me, that it does
> lack in certain feature areas, but it makes up for that in slimness
> and overall performance.

Thanks, Matt! I really appreciate the input.

Although I've long ago abandoned KDE "the desktop", I've clung to Konqueror's
file manager (mostly out of habit but somewhat, IIRC, because Xfce's Thunar file
manager didn't seem very robust at the time). When I eventually step up to
Xfce 4.8, I'll have to give Thunar another shot.

As for LXDE, maybe I'll give that a try on my older (400 MHz CPU, 192MB RAM)
laptop sometime.  That machine is stuck in a time warp with Slackware 10.2,
circa 2005.

Anyone else out there been experimenting with the "lighter" desktop
environments and/or window managers?

Regards,
Bill