[GLLUG] What is the difference between GNOME, KDE, XFCE,

Ben Chavez ebcha1974 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 10 11:36:27 EDT 2011

I didn't know meetup.com was a paid service, I just joined a meetup
group for bicycling and it didn't cost me anything. I don't think
spending money in something that is free (as free beer) make much sense.

Funny that discussion about desktop manager came out since right now my
goal is to test the one that are popular among UNIX like OSs if I can.
For what I hear Xfce used to be a light weigh desktop environment but
now uses almost the same amount of resources as Gnome since they also
share libraries. So for light I hear Lxde is a better alternative.
However I havent had the opportunity to test it yet.

I am right now trying to set up Slackware 13.37 with flubox and FreeBSD
8.2  with KDE in the same laptop that runs OpenSuse 11.4 with
Gnome/IceWM lite. I am planning on bring it to the meeting so hoping to
get some help.