[GLLUG] Stanford -- Intro to AI course -- available free online

Frank Dolinar frank.dolinar at comcast.net
Thu Aug 11 18:01:21 EDT 2011

Hi, everyone,
     FYI, this came down the wire last night.

    Stanford 'Intro To AI' Course Offered Free Online
    <http://developers.slashdot.org/story/11/08/04/1646210/Stanford-Intro-To-AI-Course-Offered-Free-Online>

Posted by Unknown Lamer <http://unknownlamer.org/> on Thursday August
04, @01:20PM
from the i'm-afraid-i-can't-let-you-do-that dept.
An anonymous reader writes /"IEEE Spectrum reports that Stanford's CS221
course 'Introduction to Artificial Intelligence
<http://www.ai-class.com/>' will be offered online for free. Anyone can
sign up and take the course
<http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/artificial-intelligence/you-you-can-take-stanfords-intro-to-ai-course-next-quarter-for-free>,
along with several hundred Stanford undergrads. The instructors are
Sebastian Thrun <http://robots.stanford.edu/>, known for his
self-driving cars
<https://tech.slashdot.org/story/11/04/02/1529237/Googles-Driverless-Car-and-the-Logic-of-Safety>,
and Peter Norvig <http://norvig.com/>, director of research at Google.
Online students will actually have to do all the same work as the
Stanford students. There will be at least 10 hours per week of studying,
along with weekly graded homework assignments and midterm and final
exams. The instructors, who will be available to answer questions, will
issue a certificate for those who complete the course, along with a
final grade that can be compared to the grades of the Stanford students.
The course, which will last 10 weeks, starts on October 2nd, and online
enrollment is now open."/ When asked how they would deal with ten
thousand students, Professor Thrun replied: /"We will use something akin
to Google Moderator <http://www.google.com/moderator/> to make sure
Peter and I answer the most pressing questions. Our hypothesis is that
even in a class of 10,000, there will only be a fixed number of really
interesting questions (like 15 per week). There exist tools to find them."/

--
* Frank Dolinar     frank.dolinar at comcast.net *