[GLLUG] Motherboard problem.

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Sat Feb 19 23:27:03 EST 2011

The halt setting won't prevent the POST codes from being output.  Basically,
you just changed it so that it won't halt if it can't perform a floppy disk
seek.

The system still needs RAM to get to the post codes, just not very much of
it, and in very specific places.  Changing the order of the DIMMS is
sometimes enough to get a machine to post, depending on the memory
configuration and where the failed chip is, but you would need something
like Linux BADRAM support to get the initial BIOS screen.