[GLLUG] Proxies with WPA

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 00:11:02 EST 2011

I figured out how to connect to a wireless access point that used
encryption, WPA to be specific, using wpa_supplicant.  However, the two
browsers I tried to use while connected to it, Firefox and Midori,
refused to resolve websites until I disabled the proxy server in the
browsers' settings.  ping had no problem resolving URLs; I may have been
successful with links, too.  I use Privoxy to block ads and cookies, and
it hasn't been a problem on unencrypted access points.  (Well, maybe it
has been once or twice.)

I searched on the Privoxy and Arch Linux (the distro on my laptop)
websites, and did a quick search on the web in general, and found
absolutely no mention of any such problem.  Granted, this was the only
time I ever tried to connect to an encrypted access point, so maybe
there was a setting on the access point itself that caused this problem,
but does anyone know of any problems with proxies and WPA?
--

                                Chick