[GLLUG] Public Relations Idea

STeve Andre' andres at msu.edu
Tue Jul 19 03:28:09 EDT 2011

On 07/18/11 20:48, Chick Tower wrote:
> I had an idea, and I'd like to know what everyone else thinks about it
> before I try it.  Please feel free to offer whatever advice and
> criticisms you think necessary.
>
> Suppose I wrote a Craigslist ad saying that if anyone has wondered
> about Linux, or thought about installing Linux, or wants to install
> Linux, we can give them help, information, and advice for free.  Maybe
> they're tired of buying new PCs to handle the new versions of Windows,
> or tired of the viruses they keep getting, or tired of spending money
> every time they want a new program.  Then, if anyone responds to the
> ad, I can invite them to the Thursday night meetings.

The initial ad should explain what GLLUG is, and when it meets.

It's best if ads don't have anything hidden, because sadly people tend
to think of pyramid marketing schemes such as Amway.

The other thing is that this is unlikely to spur any activity at all, at
first.  Advertising is all about continued impressions on people, and
at some point they may pick up on it.

Not sure where the best spot is on Craigslist, but consistent ads there
every nn (4? 7? ?) days would be good.

--STeve Andre'