[GLLUG] Can Linux be loaded on an old Apple PowerBook G4

Karl Schuttler karl.schuttler at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 11:29:45 EDT 2011

Hey Tony. You can definitely load some flavor of linux on it; be sure
to get the PowerPC of the distro you are interested in, ad the G4 has
a PowerPC processor and not a modern one (x86, amd64).

Ubuntu PowerPC: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCDownloads

Be aware that Ubuntu stopped officially supporting PowerPC several
major versions ago (7.04 i think? Currently on 11.04), but there is a
community that ports them over.

But perhaps you are having other issues? Your computer is definitely
outdated, but what benefits do you want from upgrading? I'm not sure
that you'd see a performance increase.

Karl