[GLLUG] Can Linux be loaded on an old Apple PowerBook G4

Bryan Laur bjlaur at mtu.edu
Sat Jul 30 13:29:21 EDT 2011

I wouldn't be surprised if he just wants to get something useful on it.

Sounds like it's not his main computer anymore... typically upgrading
software major versions yields a performance decrease, not increase.

Tony, do you know what model your processor is? or maybe just the clock
speed?

Ubuntu is getting more bloated in new releases and therefore is not very
friendly on old hardware. You could try it, but if you find it's too
slow after ensuring that your drivers are working correctly, don't give
up hope.

I would try lubuntu, which is a very lightweight ubuntu derivative.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubuntu

Yellow Dog linux might also be a good choice.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_Dog_Linux

How to install lubuntu on power pc.
1) download ubuntu alternative or ubuntu minimal for PPC. (See notes below)
2) install core ubuntu.
3) sudo apt-get update
4) sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
5) sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop

ubuntu alternative vs ubuntu minimal:
ubuntu-minimal is a netinstall distro. It downloads and installs the
core package on the fly. The problem with this is that it can be
extremely slow with the default repo, and I wouldn't recommend it.

ubuntu-alternative includes the standard ubuntu desktop package, but you
can choose to not select it. In this case, you'll get the core package
installed without havng to download it on the fly.
On the other hand, you have to download the 700MB CD.. in which you only
need like 40MB of it or something

Each method has it's pro/cons, but the outcome is the same.

sources:
1) myself as I've install lubuntu using ubuntu alternative before
2) http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1454430

PS: you've inspired me to see if my grandfather still using his G3 ibook.

Hey Karl, it looks like there are 32bit and 64bit