[GLLUG] [Bulk] Antec Drive Unmounting

Marr wm33 at att.net
Fri Jun 17 23:03:27 EDT 2011

On Friday 17 June 2011 22:30:40 Chick Tower wrote:
> About eight years ago, I installed a 5.25" CD burner in an Antec case
> that has screwless drive rails.  The rails mount on the side of the
> drive and then you slide the drive in until you hear a click, or so the
> manual says.  (I don't recall doing it, but I must have, since I built
> assembled the PC from components.)  Now it's time to change the CMOS
> battery, but the CD burner blocks my access to it.  I unlock the drive
> rail with a slider on the outside of the cage, but I can't budge the
> burner, neither forward nor backward.  Does anyone know if there's a
> trick to releasing the drive rail so I can slide the burner out of the
> way and change my battery?  Thanks in advance.

Chick,

Although I suspect that the mailing list won't support attachments, a picture
or two would be worth a lot in this case (no pun intended!).

I have an Antec model SX830 case from 2001 with some drive rails that might be
called "screwless" even though the manual refers to them as "Tension Clips".
The Tension Clips screw to each side of a 5.25-inch external (e.g. optical
media) drive and are thereafter "screwless" because the drive then slides in
and the metal part of the Tension Clips snap to lock the drive in place. To
remove the drive, the metal part of the clips get pulled inboard while the
drive is pulled forward.

But what you have sounds as if it may be different.

There are several pictures of my SX830 case on the Internet, but to see these
"Tension Clips", go here:

   http://www.pchardware.ro/Reviews/review.php?id=1&p=2

Then look at the 3rd picture on that page (the one showing the side of an
optical media drive). Is that anything like what you have?

If not, what model Antec case do you have? Hopefully the manual will say
because I found no obvious identifying model number on my case (inside or
outside).

Bill