[GLLUG] need some advice

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Sat Nov 12 15:05:37 EST 2011

On 11/12/11 1:53 PM, Jeremy Neil wrote:
> so yeah, ive gotten a chance to work at liquid web (I hope you'd know
> what this business was :| ). But, I have little experience with rpm
> distro's so I'd like to know which distro I should start with. The job
> I'd be offered would be a system's admin essentially, even though I
> don't know enough console commands and stuff, and I'm still kinda new
> with using the console. However I'm willing to try my hardest to learn
> what I need to know, so bascially any pointers could help as well.
> Thought I'd ask you guys since the local ubuntu irc channel guys have
> pretty much rejected me :\ .
Well, I'd expect them to thumb their nose at you if you're asking about
handling rpms, because Ubuntu users don't have them.

I don't know what Liquid Web uses, but Charles is right, starting with
CentOS is the way to go.  CentOS does have a GUI, but you should avoid
it, because when you're administering servers you won't be using one.
Also, as several of us have learned, the GUI will often burn you.

If you don't have it, pick up Aeileen Frisch's excellent Essential Unix
Administration.  If you don't have time to do anything else, learn how
to use vi proficiently.  It's the most useful tool on the box, and
you'll spend a large part of your day using it.

You should also start learning scripting as soon as possible.  Start
with shell scripting (bash is the best starting point), but move on to
Python pretty quickly.  It's really good for scripting more complex things.

Clay