[GLLUG] Trouble Accessing external UDB hard drives from Western Digital

Bryan Laur bjlaur at mtu.edu
Fri Oct 14 10:14:57 EDT 2011

Hi dan,

automounting on Linux distributions can be done different ways, and I
don't know what method OpenSUSE uses (if any) to do so.

If all else fails, you should just mount the partition manually.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mount+ntfs+partition+linux

something like this:
mount -t ntfs /dev/sdb1 /mnt/ntfs

http://linuxconfig.org/How_to_mount_partition_with_ntfs_file_system_and_read_write_access

Now, since these are both primarily linux drives, I would not use ntfs
on either of them.

Therefore, run gparted and format both drives to ext4.
(install gparted first if necessary)

For permanent drives, the typical way to mount-on-boot is to use fstab.
wiki has good documentation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fstab
There are also hundreds of guides on google.

As far as automounting the non-permanent USB drive, I am not really sure
of. You could use hotplug or something.
You could also add it to fstab assuming it will be plugged in on boot.
(Or, I think if you just run `mount` afterwards with no arguments it'll
mount it automatically? not sure on that one.)