[GLLUG] Trouble Accessing external UDB hard drives from Western Digital

David Mogle dmogle at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 10:34:07 EDT 2011

I have an external drive that automounts at boot - I just made an
fstab entry for the external drive.  If it isn't plugged in at boot it
fails gracefully and you can mount it after plugging it in by running
'mount -a' as root - this causes the machine to try to mount every
device listed in fstab.  I prefer this method over the system's
automount because the mount point isn't always consistent (I use
Ubuntu with Gnome) - this way I always know where my drive is located
in the filesystem.

I second Bryan's opinion to use an ext filesystem rather than NTFS -
if you won't be using these drives on a Windows machine there's not
much point in using NTFS.  It's strange that it won't recognize the
filesystem though.  Are you sure the drive is formatted?

The mount command and fstab seem intimidating at first, but they
really aren't too bad.  I bet you'll be up and running in no time.
Good luck!

-D. Mogle