[GLLUG] Trouble Accessing external UDB hard drives from Western Digital

dburk at ws6transam.org dburk at ws6transam.org
Fri Oct 14 17:40:17 EDT 2011

Hey, I've had some partial success this afternoon with the hard drive and
the Linux. I brought the drive home and discovered that it works just fine
on my OpenSuse 11.4 / KBE system: It pops up as a regular-joe, NTFS 2.7TB
drive. So there appears to be something odd going on with the 11.2 / Gnome
system.

In addition, I successfully updated to the latest version of PERL on my
home Linux machine, which I built out of mostly castoff parts for a
whopping fifty bucks. It even has dual monitors.
The online documentation for PERL appears to be great and I look forward
to studying. The thought of building something complex like the
compilation of the Perl-5.14.2.tar.gz was darned intimidating: The
inscrutable nature of Windows stuff has trained me to be gun-shy so it was
nice to see the package build & work the first time, other than a couple
of minor, but manageable glitches.

Lastly, my copy of Rosenberg's Kornshell Programming Tutorial just showed
up in the mail this afternoon: May the education begin and the good times
roll.

Stan, that 14-bay SCSI CDROM box sounds like it might be about perfect for
what I'm trying to do. Thus far, I have gotten the copy speed down to four
minutes per disc by doing the copy from a command console, but 4 minutes *
1500 discs = an awful lot of hours worth of messing around. That machine
might let me automate the process & speed things up. I'll email you about
it.

Thanks,

-Dan Burk