[GLLUG] CLI renaming question

J Neveau neveauj at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 05:01:46 EDT 2012

I did read that Debian apparently went astray of the original "rename"
program; it was a competing project at the time, originally called
"mrename"; Debian eventually just called it "rename".  Their own version,
if you will.

I guess that's why the syntax is somewhat different from that of more pure
Linux distros such as Slackware.  I started out using Slackware and it was
a GREAT learning experience due to "getting under the hood" more often.

I am going do more reading on it.  I do a lot of work for friend's cleaning
up their machines, so archiving their stuff is routine.  This command will
definitely help in that endeavor.

JN