[GLLUG] This is what I want a Raspberry Pi for - my youngest kid is 11

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Sat Apr 21 22:42:35 EDT 2012

When you measure from the wall, it's likely to be a lot higher (guessing
70-100 for a p3, 100-170 for a p4, and running under 2.5 watts max load for
24/7 operations adds up.  Keep in mind that every watt you use in the
summer can also add towards a/c, too.

My whole house power bill floats near 500kwh/m and I have a fair amount of
stuff that runs 24/7 (computer stuff accounts for about 160-250 watts
depending on load).  Most people with equivalent situations seem to pay
about another $50 each month, and they definitely don't include power
consumption near the top of the purchase criteria.  It's certainly not from
one box, but that's about $600 a year in savings.

Each tool has it's place.  For example, I have incandesants in some
specific areas of my house for the net energy/cost savings ( and cfl in the
rest).  If you only use that box 150 hours a year, the power savings might
never pay for the upgrade.  By comparison, I payed for a big PC upgrade
several times over with just the power savings from some of the newer amds.

On Apr 21, 2012 9:48 PM, "STeve Andre'" <andres at msu.edu> wrote:

> That's true.  A p3 dell I have wants 55 watts, so you can have 19 to 20
> hours of flight time on it for a Kwh, so three hours a night playing on
> the dell each week is about $.10 around here.  So while I agree that
> it wants more power, I don't think that's a big difference, is it?
>
> --STeve Andre'
>

> On 04/21/12 21:38, Richard Houser wrote:
>>
>> Those old p4ish systems you are talking about would burn the yearly
power consumption of a pi in a week or so.  If you run that for a year, the
Pi ends up costing a small fraction as much and its silent.  That and the
possibility of battery power makes the Pi 'run circles' around such old
systems for a large portion of the target audience.

>> On Apr 21, 2012 9:15 PM, "STeve Andre'" <andres at msu.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> OK, I'm neglecting the cool factor, nerd that I am.  I see your point!
>>>
>>> --STeve Andre'

machines that can run circles around this little item.
son is actually enthusiastic about the Pi. I'm hoping that will take him
somewhere.

Dell