[GLLUG] Why do we use Linux

Matt Parrott parrott.matt at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 14:43:44 EST 2012

I use Linux because being on the upgrade and re-learning treadmill of
proprietary solutions is not fun.

Sure, it's a bit harder to figure out how to do things in the terminal, but
I don't need to worry about the makers of vim and bash scrapping their
entire paradigm in favor of some exciting new fad in the near future.

My colleagues at a Microsoft-infested corporation are all pumped up about
migrating their data into a "data cube".

Of course, they were getting along fine with sql, but, well, you know. Who
wants to be the loser with tabular solutions to problems in a terminal when
you can be the cool guy with cubicle solutions to problems using a touch
screen tablet?

P.S.

ChruBuntu on the Samsung 550 ChromeBook runs like a dream and the
simplified keyboard makes programming much easier. Can't recommend strongly
enough.

- Matt Parrott <http://www.swarmstrategies.com/matt> · (317) 324-8282 ·
Skype: matt.parrott