[GLLUG] Problem....

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Tue Dec 11 17:45:50 EST 2012

On Dec 11, 2012, at 2:02 PM, Troy wrote:
> My problem is, I need a com port number between 1 and 256. I have tried everything to give a proper number to the USB port. How do I find a number, short of going through all 255 different numbers.

You probably need to set up the USB serial device as a COM port in wine.  If the device shows up as a serial port (aka, /dev/ttyUSB0) you can do something like:

	ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1

If the device doesn't present itself as a serial device, then you'll have to figure out what driver needs to be loaded for this device, if it does indeed exist.

On the other hand, why bother with Wine?  CHIRP claims to support the Icon IC-880h:  http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

You'll probably be better served using the software written for linux than trying to make Windows software run on Linux.