[GLLUG] Series: Baking Pi - Operating Systems Development

Michael P. Flaga michael at flaga.net
Fri Dec 14 14:59:43 EST 2012

High Impedance Air Gap <http://www.highimpedanceairgap.com/>  is glad to
announce we will begin our group lab sessions of Cambridge University
<http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/freshers/raspberrypi/tutorials/os/> 's "Baking Pi -
Operating Systems Development". The goal is to help each other through the
course lesson plans. Typically one lesson per semi-monthly meeting.

Our first meet up is scheduled for:
January 9th, 7:00pm to 9:00pm (or drop)

Check out our High Impedance Air Gap website
<http://www.highimpedanceairgap.com/>  for up to date schedule and location
information.

This course takes you through the basics of operating systems development in
assembly code. It trys not to assume any prior knowledge of operating
systems development or assembly code. It may be helpful to have some
programming experience, but the course should be accessible without. This
course is divided into a series of 'lessons' designed to be taken in order
as below. Each 'lesson' includes some theory, and also a practical exercise,
complete with a full answer.; Rather than leading the reader through the
full details of creating an Operating System, these tutorials focus on
achieving a few common tasks separately. Hopefully, by the end, the reader
should know enough about Operating Systems that they could try to put
together everything they've learned and make one. Although the lessons are
generally focused on creating very specific things, there is plenty of room
to play with what you learn. Perhaps, after reading the lesson on functions,
you imagine a better style of assembly code. Perhaps after the lessons on
graphics you imagine a 3D operating system. Since this is an Operating
Systems course, you will have the power to design things how you like. If
you have an idea, try it! Computer Science is still a young subject, and so
there is plenty left to discover!

Requirements:

In order to complete this course you will need a Raspberry Pi with an SD
card and power supply, as well as another computer (preferably a laptop)
running a version of linux, Microsoft Windows or Mac OS X, capable of
writing to the SD card, and installing software. It is helpful, but not
necessary, for your Raspberry Pi to be able to be connected to a screen.

In terms of software, you require a GNU compiler toolchain that targets
ARMv6. Links for downloads are available on the Downloads Page
<http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/freshers/raspberrypi/tutorials/os/downloads.html> ,
along with model answers for all of the exercises.

APPEAL?

While the coarse description states a monitor is not necessary. It is
helpful. Hence we are interested in any suggestions of any better locations
that may have multiple monitors that accept HDMI.

Happy Hacking.

Michael P. Flaga,  <mailto:michael at flaga.net> michael at flaga.net