[GLLUG] Firefox Bug

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 11:50:28 EST 2012

Here's a problem discovered with the latest Firefox, 10.0.something.
Have any of you been having problems with HTML5 video on multi-user PCs?
--

                                Chick

I have found the problem, prompted by my reference to single user
windows systems. If you haven't been put off using firefox before, then
this might finally nail it. What appallingly bad design.

There is a /tmp/mozilla-media-cache directory which firefox uses for
storing its online streaming. It is owned by the first user to start up
firefox (or presumably some other mozilla product).  firefox only
allows that first user to access the directory.  It appears that
sometimes this gets reset (it appears to be maybe every week or so) so
that another user can get to it, to the exclusion of the earlier user
for the remainder of the week/month or whatever it is.

I am completely amazed at the crass, mind boggling, awefulness of this.

Chris