[GLLUG] Please lecture me in Network Files Sharing

Matt Harrison matt.harrison82 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 12:10:07 EST 2012

Depending on your distro, XFCE should have native network browsing
capabilities with Thunar in XFCE 4.8.
You do need the following packages to make it work (at least in Debian
and Fedora)
gvfs-fuse
fuse-smb

Or, if you install smbfs and winbind, you can add an entry in
/etc/fstab that will mount it to a specified folder:

Here is an example of the line I use
//192.168.1.81/Photos    /media/Shared        cifs
guest,rw,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0

You will need to create the folder /media/Shared    obviously name it
how you want to.

After you do that, run as root:    mount -a
Browse in Thunar to the mount point you created and you should see your files.