[GLLUG] Console Craziness

STeve Andre' andres at msu.edu
Mon Jul 2 22:53:05 EDT 2012

On 07/02/12 22:37, Chick Tower wrote:
> My laptop, which runs Arch as well as some others, has developed a
> problem.  Many programs that use console graphics don't draw the lines
> and boxes the way they used to.  Instead of the nice lines, double
> lines, what-have-you, I get letters from foreign alphabets.  Midnight
> Commander is where I first noticed it, but it also affects elinks and
> w3m.  In fact, in elinks it also replaces apostrophes with several
> letters.  links is immune to the problem, though.  I don't recall
> trying any others console programs, such as mutt or finch.  I've tried
> searching the Arch forums, LinuxQuestions.org, and DuckDuckGo, and so
> far the closest I've come up with are things that concern terminfo and
> ANSI graphics, but I haven't found the solution yet.
>
> So far, this affects just my laptop and Arch.  I have Arch on two
> desktop PCs, one of which has been upgraded to the level of the laptop
> when I first noticed the problem on the laptop.  I haven't caught up
> on the other desktop PC yet, but so far neither desktop PCs have shown
> this problem.  I reinstalled ncurses and aalib to see if something may
> have been corrupted or incompletely installed, but it had no effect.
>
> Have any of you ever had this problem with Arch, or any other distro
> or BSD?  If so, how did you solve it?
>

>                                Chick

I don't think I have ever seen this on OpenBSD, if I'm understanding you.

When did this happen?

Have you changed anything--installed new software, changed something?

Can you categorize programs that do, and do not work.

Lastly, is this under X, or X/gnome or X/kde?

--STeve Andre'

ps: you've done a hard reboot?