[GLLUG] Console Craziness

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 23:38:04 EDT 2012

On 07/02/2012 10:53 PM, STeve Andre' wrote:
> On 07/02/12 22:37, Chick Tower wrote:
> I don't think I have ever seen this on OpenBSD, if I'm understanding you.

I thought perhaps it was something that someone had seen on any
Unix-like OS, since my information search had led me to mentions of
terminfo mismatches.

> When did this happen?
>
> Have you changed anything--installed new software, changed something?

I have no idea exactly when it happened.  Arch has new packages almost
every day, but I don't use mc every day.

> Can you categorize programs that do, and do not work.

I could, but it's not necessary now.

> Lastly, is this under X, or X/gnome or X/kde?

At the console, before X even starts.

> --STeve Andre'
>
> ps: you've done a hard reboot?

Yes.  Always.  I never suspend my laptops.

I found the solution in the Arch forums.  It was one new line for
/etc/rc.conf, to wit:  DAEMON_LOCALE=yes.  I just hadn't replaced my old
configuration files with the new ones soon enough.

                                Chick