[GLLUG] software defined radio in Linux

Charles Ulrich charles at bityard.net
Sun Jul 22 23:07:59 EDT 2012

So, software-defined radio (SDR) is basically doing radio signal
processing in software rather than in dedicated hardware. (Your car
stereo is an example of a dedicated hardware radio.) Consumer-level
computers are now fast enough these days that they can do the rather
complicated radio signal processing in software and in real time. This
beings a host of benefits to the state of the art in radio. (But don't
ask me to explain them because I'm not sure I'd be able to make much
sense. :)

Unfortunately, SDR transceivers (the stuff between the antenna and
computer) have been somewhat expensive because they're pretty
specialized and are not exactly mass produced. Last time I went looking,
the most popular one was well over $600. However, someone recently
discovered that there are some cheap (around $20) USB television
receiver dongles which turn out to also be pretty decent, if limited,
SDR receivers.

I ordered one of these from Amazon and got around to trying it out over
the past few days. It covers most of the VHF and UHF bands. (Though I've
heard of people getting wider coverage with homebrew frequency converter
thingies.) Using a program called "Gqrx", I've been able to tune into
weather radio, FM radio, air traffic control, and police dispatch from
the comfort of my desk at home. The downside is that this stuff is so
new, you can't just apt-get or yum your way into a working setup yet.
Compiling GNU Radio and other dependencies is nontrivial. I didn't
follow a howto since my distro is old, but there are some out there.

I'm planning to attend this week's meeting to share what I've managed
so far. I'm just dipping my toes in so to speak, so I probably can't
answer all questions. Google "RTLSDR" to see what the Internets are
saying about all this.

Charles