[GLLUG] software defined radio in Linux

Marr wm33 at att.net
Sun Jul 22 23:56:32 EDT 2012

On Sunday 22 July 2012 23:07:59 Charles Ulrich wrote:
> However, someone recently
> discovered that there are some cheap (around $20) USB television
> receiver dongles which turn out to also be pretty decent, if limited,
> SDR receivers.

I saw a (legitimate, despite the date) Slashdot story that you may also have
seen, back on April 1st if my notes are correct, about this exact issue. I
looked into this a bit at the time but, for reasons I cannot recall, don't
have that "Realtek RTL2832U" dongle on my "consider buying this to play around
with some day" list. Maybe it wasn't as readily available back then?

> I ordered one of these from Amazon and got around to trying it out over
> the past few days.

Very cool! I'm not sure if I can make the meeting, but I'll be very interested
to hear more about this if I do.  Thanks for the info, Charles!

Bill