[GLLUG] software defined radio in Linux

Charles Ulrich charles at bityard.net
Mon Jul 23 09:38:20 EDT 2012

On 2012-07-22 23:56, Marr wrote:
> a (legitimate, despite the date) Slashdot story that you may also
> have
> seen, back on April 1st if my notes are correct, about this exact
> issue. I
> looked into this a bit at the time but, for reasons I cannot recall,
> don't
> have that "Realtek RTL2832U" dongle on my "consider buying this to
> play around
> with some day" list. Maybe it wasn't as readily available back then?

They should have been more readily available back then... Since their
SDR uses were discovered, some people have been having a hard time
getting them. (eBay sellers have been hoarding them and doulbing or
tripling the price, or they advertise an RTL2832U and sell something
else, etc). I bought this one from NooElec on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Newsky-Receiver-Low-Cost-Software-Defined/dp/B008DCBS94/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1343009096&sr=8-3&keywords=newsky

Charles