[GLLUG] Help converting from 32 bit to 64 bit OpenSUSE

dburk at ws6transam.org dburk at ws6transam.org
Fri Jun 1 11:02:42 EDT 2012

Hi there,
I've been lurking for the last six months or so. Part of my research
system here at MSU's seismic department is a Linux computer I use for
archiving seismic data. I am attempting to create a seismic database and
have been bringing waveforms online for the past six months or so. The
software for the database file serving system requires a 64-bit
installation but the computer was configured as a 32-bit OS.

Time's getting short, and I'm a basic user. What I don't want to do is
hose the computer whilst trying to upgrade. I tried that on my home linux
system, and it's now dead- I'll probably have to do a reinstall to revive
it. Is there anyone near campus who would be willing to assist me in
converting this system so that I can get my Antelope 5.1-64 package going?

The hardware appears to be there: It's an AMD Athalon X2-250 dual-core,
and there looks to be about 1.8GB of RAM loaded on-board. I'm just not
confident that I can get it right the first time by myself. The IT guys
here in Natural sciences are disavowing any LINUX knowledge, saying that
they don't know how to deal with non-mainstream operating systems. (???)

-Dan Burk
MSU phone 355-8397
cell: 388-2875

mailto:burkdani at msu.edu